Thursday, November 17, 2011

A little late, but an update from Tuesday night

Beautiful, gentle, and still

She has a silent grace

Auntie Agnes, a warrior with a resilient spirit fighting at a steady pace.

With the Lord as her Shepard she wills her battles day by day.

Her strong family and friends meeting at intersections, and waiting rooms,

Anticipating the news that she will be renewed once again.

Each day, each hour, each minute, each moment that passes,

We sit , we wait , we pray.

‘Expect a Miracle’ is the motto of her fight.

‘Expect a Miracle’ is what we want.

‘Expect a Miracle’ is what we say.

'Expect a Miracle' is what we pray.

Before I recap tonight, I would like to share with everyone the wonderful evening I was fortunate to spend with Auntie on Tuesday (11/15) night. Before I came to visit her, I was texting her… asking her how she’s doing today and if she would be up for some company. I had heard from my brother (Chris) and Joe that her appetite has grown and she was craving outside food. I asked her if she would like me to bring her anything, and she said yes. I had made some, spaghetti and meatballs, the night before and had some leftover. I wasn’t too sure if this dish would be too complex for her as she was just re-introducing solids into her diet. But, she said sure why not.

I arrived to her awake and waiting for her breathing-treatment and dinner, but I told her I had brought her something (spaghetti and meatballs) that would definitely be worth her stored up energy to at least try. We waited around for a while and chatted a bit about what’s going on with everyone. She intermittently rested between our brief conversations and she mentioned to me that she’s doing okay… but just gets lonely from time to time. I told her I’m here, and won’t leave until another person arrives. And there are a lot of people that may not be here, but are thinking and praying for her constantly.

I noticed that she was coughing a lot that night, more than I’ve noticed before. But with each cough she tried to spit out as much as she could however, she just didn’t have enough energy to cough what was stuck in her chest. She told me that she was a bit short of breath today, but she was now impatiently waiting on her breathing-treatment, which makes things a lot better after. I told Liana that I brought some spaghetti and if her mom didn’t like it, she was more than welcome to have some. But, once I said this, Auntie shook her head and gave me this look like, “ hey, I’m going to try it, don’t give it away yet!”

A couple minutes later, Auntie got her breathing treatment, the girls and company left and she was resting and I told her going to step out for a bit. Then, she perked up and told me she was ready to try my spaghetti! I was totally surprised and got a portion of what I brought for her heated up by one of the nurses. Sure enough, as soon as I handed over the food she devoured it, in between coughing. I was so happy and delighted that she ate! The nurses were also, pleasantly surprised and pleased to hear that she ate J After, she was done, naturally it was time to sleep. The nurse shortly came in to give Auntie some Ativan so she could rest for the night. Auntie asked me to turn off all the lights, and to draw the curtain. As I walked to the chair at the foot of her bed she called out to me and was smiling, and slightly giggling. She asked me, “did you just pet my head?’ And I told her no and that it was just the two of us in the room. I told her to just rest, and I wouldn’t leave until Uncle Dennis arrived. She then closed her eyes and had the most content and at ease face as she fell asleep. Uncle arrived probably 20 minutes later and, I stayed and chatted with him and told him the good news that she actually ate dinner tonight. Without a doubt Auntie has a very resilient spirit. Each day I know, I, among many pray for her recovery.

I know that today, Wednesday (11/16) was a different story as some folks have posted below updates on her condition. I pray that God may comfort her, and lift her up. To allow her to be at ease as she fights this, and grace for her family and friends that are constantly at her bedside. I also pray for the doctors and nurses tending to her day and night, may they have the knowledge and capability to best heal and comfort her.

~Sharee Nuez

1 comment:

Jasmin Galeos said...

I too Pray for Miracle. Thanks Sharee for an update.