Thursday, December 29, 2011

Give Until There's Nothing Left



"Give Until There's Nothing Left"

No one told me
The right way
The right way to go about this
So I'll figure it out for myself
'Cause how much is too much to give you?
Well I'll may never know
So I'll just give until there's nothing else

Yeah I'll give, give, give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give, give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left
I'll give

No one told me
How bad I need you (need you)
But I somehow arrived
To that conclusion all by myself (all by myself)
And I want
All you have to offer (to offer)
So I'll offer myself and I'll just give until there's nothing else

And I'll give, give, give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)

Give, give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left to
Give, give, give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give, give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left

Sometimes it seems
Like all I ever do
Is ask for things
Until I ask too much of you
But that's not the way (that's not the way)
I wanna live (I wanna live)
I need to change (I need to change)
But something's got to give
Yeah something's got to

Give, give, give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give, give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left to give
Give, give, give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give, give
Give until there's nothing left
I'll give

I am reminded of a day when I listened to this song and my Mom caught the words "So I'll offer myself and I'll give until there's nothing else."

We were in the process of moving out of our home of 11 years. She paused for a moment and said, "Yes. That's what we did. We've given until there's nothing left. We've given even when there's nothing left."

Finances were really tight at the time, but we always made sure to give ourselves away. She'd often tell me that she and my Dad are the type to give you the shirt off their backs if it meant they could help fill the needs of someone else. She'd say that it sometimes felt weird accepting help from others because she was so used to serving others, she always wanted people to feel valued, accepted, and loved. The way she did that was by serving them with food, being that listening ear, sitting in silence, sometimes a hug, the late chats into the night, waking early to drive me to school, etc.

She truly didn't have any regrets. She gave of her heart, her time, money, food, anything until there was nothing else to pour her life and love into the lives of others so they would know that God truly is real.

But even though she said, "Yes, I have given until there's nothing else." She also told me, "It's time to be refilled again." For she knew where her true strength came from, though exhausted mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically she still gave because she knew that each person was truly special and that while she may be weak, our God is strong enough.

She was in a real slump at the time, she told me she didn't want to serve anymore, she just wanted to rest and sort of take a break for awhile. Even so, she still served and loved because no matter how she felt she knew that someone needed to be heard, someone needed that love of Jesus too. She gave of herself in that stage of hurting in order to get over the problems we faced, 'cause we weren't the only ones who were facing trouble--although we may have felt alone. She knew and she reminded me that there are other people out there who needed love too, so she asked God to restore and refill her again to showcase His power and His love through her.

And that's where her true strength came from. That was the secret to how she would give until there's nothing else.

She gave until there was nothing else, and I do believe our dear Agnes, my Mom, heard the words,

"Well done, good and faithful servant."

So my question is, have you given until there's nothing else? Can you answer that truthfully? Are you feeling empty? Out in the cold? Does this Christmas season sadden you or remind you of the things lost? Then drink and be refilled again by the love of Christ and then give His love away--when you give love away your problems don't go away, but they do get put into the right perspective. Rejoice! As long there is still one more breath, there is still hope.

For our foe or problems are big, and we are small, but our God is bigger still.


-Liana S.

No comments: