Saturday, December 10, 2011

In Remembrance

Christine Ancheta Balagtas, Agnes' old roommate/friend, didn't get the chance to share her tribute at the funeral service last Saturday, 12/2nd, due to time constraint. I'm posting her story here. Please read on and be extra blessed and continue to "remember."
Over the last several weeks we prayed for a miracle, a healing that would astonish the doctors. God did, in fact, answer that prayer, as He answers all prayers with either a Yes, No, Not yet, or I have something better. God answered our prayers by providing a healing that surpasses all earthly healings, He provided an eternal healing, free from sickness, pain and tears.
“Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”  ~James 1:12
“THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,  ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”
Today we remember and celebrate our dear sister, Agnes. I could only imagine that when God was fashioning those traits that would define friendship that she gave Agnes without measure.   He was clearly not sparing, filling her with those qualities that would precede and follow her all the rest of her days. More than mere words, Agnes spoke with the power of her deeds. Her faith was not dead. Her faith was demonstrated in her selfless care, compassion and a willing readiness to give herself completely to whoever God put in her service.  As roommates together in the late 80’s, several defining moments are clear.
  • As a single mother 23 years ago, Agnes was actually with me, as I delivered my daughter Elizabeth. She made sure that I would not be alone, that she would provide the comfort and support that she knew would be needed as a person without a husband.
  • Later on as I started to get on my feet, she sacrificed her reputation and purchased a car for me under her name (and I made the payments). She knew that I needed a car, and again, she sacrificed herself for me despite the personal risk to her credit. 
  • 5 years ago, after almost 10 years of not being in touch because of family, she and Dennis eagerly welcomed me and my family to Elk Grove, when we 1st moved to the Sacramento area. In typical Agnes fashion, she brought food and refreshement, as she knew the stress of moving.   She offered herself throughout the week for meals and whatever was necessary for us to adjust to the new community.
  • Through life’s struggles, including marital issues that couples face, Agnes was always there every step of the way. Instead of passing judgment on me and my situation, she was only a listener and offering caring empathy. It was the power of her example, coupled with her sensitivity, that inspired me to continue my journey
All in all, with Agnes I never was alone. Agnes was not a loud, nor extroverted person, who would be the attention of the party so to speak. Instead, Agnes was the gentle, quiet, but deeply loyal, abidingly faithful friend who understood. In the words of a former UN Secretary, “It is more noble to give yourself completely to one individual than to labor diligently for the salvation of the masses.”
Join me in remembering Agnes by celebrating what she would have everyone celebrate today.  And that is not HER life, but most importantly the Life of Her Saviour.   
Remember Agnes by remembering her Saviour.    
Remember Agnes by remembering that life is not measured by the things that we accumulate but instead the difference and service you are to others.  
Remember Agnes by remembering that we are all sick and dying but an eternal healing awaits those that who don’t work in this life, but rest in the eternal abiding righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Remember Agnes, by remembering her life creed: What is my only comfort in life and in death? "That I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood,and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to Him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for Him."
In short, remember Agnes by remembering Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life.    

~Christine Ancheta Balagtas 
(with husband, Jerry, and children, Elizabeth, Grace & Benjamin)

1 comment:

desiree said...

beautiful.. i didn't know about any of this. glad you shared :)

thank you again for the dimsum! <3